Sunday, October 3, 2010

And Now That I'm a Housewife...

...I figured I should probably wash the clothes that have been rotting in my hamper for the last 2 months. And by hamper, I mean that H&M bag that I got back in July and have used since to store my dirty laundry.

I know what you're thinking,...Krista, that is disgusting. 2 months without washing your clothes??

Ok, #1) It's really only been like a month and a half, 2) I have pretty much mastered the art of hand washing, and I employ that every once-in-awhile, and 3) You try surviving without a washer and dryer in the comfort of your own home! Laundry becomes so much more of a big deal.

And 4) Let's be honest, I never shower anyways, so what's the point of washing my clothes?

Anyways, since going to the laundromat for the first time is such a big deal, Mindy and I wanted to make at least our first trip there together.

So we gathered up everything even the slightest bit dirty from all the nooks and crannies of our dollhouse and piled it all into 3 little baskets.

Hmm.

Okay, maybe 3 little baskets is a bit of an exaggeration. In fact, I wondered if I would have enough quarters to pay for all our laundry needs.

But nonetheless, we hauled baskets, stain stick, and all out to the car and got on the road.


Our uncertainties about whether or not we had delayed our trip to the laundromat long enough were stilled, when Mindy stopped at a red light, and a mountain of grimy items came cascading onto my head.
Cool.

But in time, we made it! We arrived at the Oaktree Village Maytag Laundromat, which apparently, is open from 8 AM to zero o'clock.

Hmm. They might want to fix that sign.
Or I might show up with my laundry in the wee hours of the night! Zero o'clock to be exact.

Hard to work we went, cramming all the dirty clothes/sheets/pot holders we had accumulated into 4 washers.

Take it from me, there aren't very many perks to doing your laundry in a public establishment. But one thing that I can say for laundromats, is that you can do 4 loads in the time it would usually take to do 1! Now if that's not a time-saver, I don't know what is.

But back to the downside of having to wash your clothes at a laundromat. See, at home, maybe I'm doing my laundry at say, 3 o'clock in the morning, when I get a call to go to one of the super-cool, secret VIP parties I'm always invited to...at 3 o'clock in the morning...cause I'm really popular. Ok. Work with me here. Anyways, then, I can just abandon my clothes in the machine. However, if I did that at the Oaktree Village Maytag Laundromat, I'm pretty sure my clothes would not be there waiting for me at zero o'clock, when I got back (again, they should change the misleading signage).

So, basically, the moral of this hypothetical scenario is that at the laundromat, you have to wait for your clothes until they're done washing. Luckily, this gave Mindy and I a perfectly good excuse to visit the local Oatree Village Starbucks next door.

We can highly recommend the Chonga Bagel.

And the old-fashioned donut. Although I'm pretty sure everyone already knows that old-fashioned donuts are delicious. Chonga bagels, on the other hand, I had never heard of until yesterday. Check 'em out.

All too soon, it was time to head back to the laundromat. We walked in with 1 minute to spare on our washers and proceeded to transfer our fresh articles to the dryers.

We felt very accomplished.

It was then that the waiting began. We waited.

And waited.

And waited.

12 minutes is a long time.

The only good thing about waiting is that the dryers are a good source of heat. The next time I'm freezing in my basement, I'm going to take a trip to the laundromat. Or turn on the heater. One of the two.

By the end of our time at the laundromat, we had pretty much taken over the place.

We felt like we should say goodbye and see ya next time as we were leaving. But no one cared that we were going.

That was strange.

And despite my use of the dryers, upon arriving home, I discovered my clothes weren't actually completely dry. Hence the need to turn my entire room into a giant drying rack/clothing fort.

So, all in all, I'd say, mission accomplished!

I have clean clothes, a new-found friend in laundromats, and a reason to invest in a piggy-bank for storing all my hard-earned quarters.

1 comment:

  1. Dude, laundromats are awesome. Especially at zero o'clock. In Washington D.C., this guy (who managed to down an entire 6-pack, plus something else in a brown paper sack) sang for us whenever the juke box came on. It was also SUPER warm, so we felt like we were back home in Africa. Mmmmm. It was amazing. Minus the cockroaches.

    ReplyDelete